Friday, February 16, 2007

transit poems: station victoria

station victoria

on the subway back in
Boston dad always preferred
the journey to Auditorium
something about the name called
over loudspeaker declaring itself
in the present tense of time
here I am in London and I
might venture to Embankment
but Canada Water lures me with promises
of refreshments and Saskatchewan natives
I know I’m in Europe not because
no one knows my name but
no one knows I’m American until
I open my mouth and the secret’s exposed
and no one cares except for the
few who understand that they’re
being bought by our culture
I buy into yours while you buy into mine
yet in the long run we all know
that those who derive pleasure from the
stately ambiguity of subway stops
will ultimately diminish to haze

No comments: