Wednesday, March 28, 2007

transportation songs: i want my city back

I am on a never ending search for songs with directions in them and a (re)acquaintance informed me of a Mighty Mighty Bosstones song with such directions. I remember seeing the Bosstones play in the Capitol Ballroom in DC back in 1996. That's over a decade ago! Wow. And now the area where the Capitol Ballroom used to is slated to become yuppie heaven, as I blogged about recently, as it was just north of the new DC baseball stadium.

To get around NIMBY'ism and zoning ordinances clubs like the Capitol Ballroom located in near SE as did many gay clubs. Now that they're on the way out, these establishments are having a difficult time finding new locations.

the song: I Want My City Back

Up around 95, sailing down Storrow Drive
Left exit into Kenmore Square
Slowed down when I got there
And that's when it was crystal clear
It wasn't there, it wasn't where
I left it, when I left it
I want my city back

2 comments:

Chava said...

(re)acquaintances are awesome! this is my first reference by another to myself on a blog- hooray! superstardom, here i come, if only in the blogospher.

Andrew said...

marc i had a horrifying experience on storrow drive on our spring break trip to boston many years ago. it is the devil.