Tuesday, June 12, 2007

poems: bratislava (untitled)

here's another poem I found stashed under my bed. It's also from 2001, but a little earlier in the year. This one's certainly not as successful as the last, and it's full of the melodrama of the early 20s. Not that melodrama fades all that much, but it does change in distinct ways.

Bratislava is where I saw you
or them or whatever I wanted to see
for years there's no other explanation
to account for premonitions
suddenly sprung like Slovakia
after decades of communism I too
need a new plaza or a faltering fountain
proclaiming independence of course
I make mistakes but the rows
of workers' housing are yours
I'll return to live here for months
traverse the bridge daily
the moment the square
the incessant glare
and I'm there in the courtyard
monumentally alone
I remember december

No comments: