Tuesday, September 11, 2007

the prescience of fall

It is an impressive feat to write a song or collection of songs that captures or expresses the emotions of a particular time. Bruce Springsteen's The Rising is a tremendous creation following in the wake of 11 September 2007. It is an entirely different accomplishment to write a song before an event occurs that comes to be inextricably connected to the subsequent event.

One that comes to mind is Green Day's Wake Me Up When September Ends. Spike Lee's documentary When the Levees Broke and Kanye West's declaration "George Bush doesn't care about black people" televised live on NBC captured in many and varied ways the frustration, horror, and tragedy of Hurricane Katrina. I associate Green Day's song very closely with Hurricane Katrina. Wake Me Up When September Ends was released in Summer 2005 with a video depicting the horror of war and was still on the radio when Katrina hit, and while Katrina made landfall on August 29 it was the month of September that seemed to last forever.

summer has come and passed
the innocent can never last
wake me up when september ends

like my fathers come to pass
seven years has gone so fast
wake me up when september ends

here comes the rain again
falling from the stars
drenched in my pain again
becoming who we are

as my memory rests
but never forgets what I lost
wake me up when september ends

Wilco's album Yankee Hotel Foxtrot was released for free on the band's website in November 2001 and all of the songs had been written before September 11. For me the song Ashes of American Flags epitomizes the emotions of that time.

I would like to salute
the ashes of american flags
and all the fallen leaves
filling up shopping bags

No comments: