Wednesday, October 24, 2007

drought songs: the seed song

living in North Carolina is a bit like the opposite of living in Macondo of 100 Years of Solitude, when Ursula is waiting for the rains to stop so that she can die. According to the highly reputable source www.gradesaver.com it rains in Macondo for four years, eleven months and two days. I did some research and found out that in September we received no rain that wasn't directly a result of a tropical storm. so, here's a classic fable of drought - the Seed Song, Atom and His Package

the rain didn't come for one calendar year
so when the man with the sunflower seeds in his hand came near
we sent him away, we sent him away, we sent him away

the rain didn't come for twelve months more
so when the man with the seed catalogue darkened our door
we sent him away, we sent him away, we sent him away

I know you're waiting for the ironic ending
I know you're waiting for the punch line
I know you're waiting for the rain to come by
well - so am I, so am I, so am I

No comments: