Wednesday, May 2, 2007

news rodeo (bonus)

story: In praise of small transportation projects. The Washington Post ran a story the other day reporting that Northern Virginia was going to focus on small fixes that could result in big improvements for the area's drivers.
PHG take: I love it! In fact, at some point I want to do an in depth study on micro transportation planning. My interest in this subject goes back over a decade when some genius (and I'm being serious) added a second left turn lane off of the Interstate 66 exit near my childhood home. This small improvement that cost almost no money improved the transportation network for thousands of people who each day made this journey. I also love mini-planning because it requires planners to be intensely familiar with the areas they are working in and really understand what is going on. This is opposed to plopping down some grandiose plan without much regard to the daily experiences of the people who drive on the roads or utilize the transportation systems.

story: New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg proposes congestion fee.

PHG take: Any billionaire that regularly rides the subway to work is A-ok in my book. In terms of the plan, Bloomberg is suggesting that cars would pay $8 and trucks $21 to enter Manhattan below 86th street during peak hours. Due to finals here at school I haven't been able to follow this story to see what the response has been, but if there is a place for a congestion fee 'starter project' in the United States it certainly is Manhattan.

No comments: